Coming and going - a story of serendipity and sorrow

billions of muslims are welcoming ramadan today…

including us, here in indonesia…

for some reason, i woke up, thinking of the cups song…

and outside, kids are hitting makeshift drums, waking people for sahur…

for a few seconds, the song and the drum rhythm match…

in that few seconds (and sometime after), i remember:

• the song is the theme of ‘mum’, a current british sitcom of loss and grief…
  • i have been watching lots of british sitcom since jon passed…
  • jon and i once laughed ourselves silly over ‘father ted’, a classic british sitcom…
    • feck! arse! :slight_smile:
  • the song itself is an ‘open song’, being a remake of a remake and so on…
  • it has been performed many times collaboratively, sometimes with thousands…
  • the lyric to the song was added by a british band…
  • this band’s first album is titled ‘rambutan’, a fruit common in indonesia…

so, in my remembrance, as jon is gone, here is my modified lyric… i hope to sing it on video with my wife (also close friend of jon and her ex, lisa) and some other friends someday…

"You’ve got your ticket for the long way 'round - Two bottle whiskey for the way - And we sure still would like your company - Oh you’ve left yesterday, what can we say?

Now you’re gone (now you’re gone) - Now you’re gone (now you’re gone) - We’re gonna miss you now you’re gone

We’re gonna miss that you care - We’re gonna miss you everywhere - We’re gonna miss you now you’re gone

You’ve got your ticket for the long way 'round - The one with the prettiest view

It’s got mountains, it’s got rivers - It’s got woods that give you shivers - But it sure would be better together

We’re gonna miss that you care - We’re gonna miss you everywhere - We’re gonna miss you now you’re gone

We’re gonna miss you by your walk - We’ll miss you by your talk - We’re gonna miss you now you’re gone

You’ve got your ticket for the long way 'round - Your feet weren’t built to stay too long - And you’ve gone there on your own - But we’ll miss you when you’re gone - It’s for you, dear, that we sing this song

Now you’re gone (now you’re gone) - Now you’re gone (now you’re gone) - We’re gonna miss you now you’re gone

Now you’re gone (now you’re gone) - Now you’re gone (now you’re gone) - We’re missing you now you’re gone

We’re gonna miss you by your walk - We’ll miss you by your talk - We’re gonna miss you now you’re gone"

note: just search on youtube for “cups song mum” to find the original lyric video, and so many others, solo and collaborative, including the ones made popular by anna kendrick, of pitch perfect fame, from whom i know of the song first… :slight_smile: