Open and Inclusive Science - Webinar 22nd Sept

Hi all,

Next Tuesday 22nd September I’m giving a Webinar on Open and Inclusive Science. It’s hosted by the https://www.fchampalimaud.org/ but open to everyone.

Registration and more info here:

Cheers, Paola

6 Likes

Hi all, for those of you interested - here are the slides I prepared for this webinar: https://zenodo.org/record/4043328.

I will also share a link to the recording as soon as I have it. Cheers, Paola

4 Likes

Thanks, @pcmasuzzo, for sharing the slides! I saw that you argue that there is no open science without inclusion and diversity and that you refer to the ‘Open is cancelled’ blog post. I wrote a post earlier this year criticising that essay:

The term “open science” is today not only confused with calls for increased replicability and a more competent use of statistics but is increasingly often used to describe many of those philosophical and ethical aspects that actually was removed in 1998 with the introduction of the term “open”.

What are your thoughts on this criticism and arguments?

(PS: Feel free to move my question to a new thread if you want to!)

3 Likes

Thank you, @rebecca for writing this and for sharing it here! It was a beautiful, interesting read.

It actually made me think a lot. I had not realized, yet, that these terms can be confusing and misleading.

I started talking about Inclusive Science last year in Porto, at the Open Science Fair 2019, in a keynote talk I had the opportunity to give. I remember sitting at my desk, few weeks before, trying to sketch my arguments/content for the talk, when it suddenly hit me: I had been observing too many voices being silenced, too many opinions being cancelled, in some spaces that were supposed to be the most open one out there - so I decided to talk about a shift in the conversation. My message became: I do not intend to advocate for Open Science anymore, if I don’t also actively listen to the voices that we all failed to listen to in the last years, and if I don’t give spaces to these voices.

I realized that representation, and its importance, was something I could not leave out when talking about Open Science. For me, at that point, September 2019, one thing could not exist anymore without the other.

Reading your blog made me doubt a lot of my approaches in communicating this, and I think I need to read it again, and then again, and see which forms my thoughts will have, then. :slight_smile:

Thank you again.

2 Likes

these open science manifesto by ocsdnet should be relevant to the discussion… :slight_smile:

1 Like

At OCSDNet, we engaged in a participatory consultation with scientists, development practitioners and activists from 26 countries in Latin America, Africa, the Middle East and Asia to understand what are the values at the core of open science in development.

What we learned is that there is not one right way to do open science. It requires constant negotiation and reflection, and the process will always differ by context.

But we also found a set of seven values and principles at the core of their vision for a more inclusive open science in development.

At OCSDNet, we propose that Open and Collaborative Science…

Principle 1: Enables a knowledge commons where every individual has the means to decide how their knowledge is governed and managed to address their needs

Principle 2: It recognizes cognitive justice, the need for diverse understandings of knowledge making to co-exist in scientific production

Principle 3: It practices situated openness by addressing the ways in which context, power and inequality condition scientific research

Principle 4: It advocates for every individual’s right to research and enables different forms of participation at all stages of the research process.

Principle 5: It fosters equitable collaboration between scientists and social actors and cultivates co-creation and social innovation in society

Principle 6: It incentivizes inclusive infrastructures that empower people of all abilities to make, and use accessible open-source technologies.

And finally, open and collaborative science:

Principle 7: strives to use knowledge as a pathway to sustainable development, equipping every individual to improve the well-being of our society and planet