Greetings and several new preprints in Bahasa Indonesia

Hello, All… first of all let me introduce myself, I am Sandy Herho (new Researcher in training here). I am now working independently on a variety of projects from my hometown: Losarang, West Java, Indonesia. I’m looking forward to contributing to the Open Science community :slight_smile:

And also I just posted several free and open educational materials (under MIT, GPLv3, and CC0 license) in Bahasa Indonesia, if you don’t mind to take a look:

I use IGDORE as my main institution in all of these documentations. Also every documentation that I made has a GitHub repository which contains several Jupyter Notebooks and YAML files that I used to generate the booklets. In my humble opinion they’re computationally reproducible.

That’s all from me.

Thanks

4 Likes

Hi @sandyherho, welcome to IGDORE and the forum :wave:

It’s nice to see you producing educational materials in Indonesian! I didn’t translate these to read myself, but at a glance, they look quite comprehensive.

The map projections in your third tutorial also remind of some things I was doing when looking at visual fields.

As an aside, while we’ve indicated these as preprints in the citations, figshare itself is actually a repository. I also assume you are not planning to publish this in an academic journal (but correct me if I’m wrong). Although it isn’t really standard citation practice, perhaps it would be better to directly call these [Tutorial] rather than [Preprint] in the citation. Does anybody else have an opinion on this? @rebecca?

1 Like

Thanks @Gavin. Yeah, it shouldn’t be a problem where you’re going to classify them. Kind of I think but not as complicated as you did I think :slight_smile:. Do you use GNU Octave or MATLAB to plot those tomographic images?

IMHO Python, especially cartopy which is using matplotlib in the back-end, I think in the mean time is rather difficult to plot such a complicated mapping plot like you did haha. But we don’t know maybe my skills isn’t good enough.

I plotted the analysis figures in Matlab and the images in a volume rendering program called Amira. In the case of Panel Ei I overlayed a figure on top of an image in Inkscape. Although in have also played around with combining surfaces and transparent spheres in Matlab (here and here) - vision science uses map projections a lot!

I found that I could achieve some quite good figure effects and maps directly in Matlab, even though many people complain about the default figures it produces. My main ‘trick’ is to get the handles to all the elements of the figure and manipulate those directly rather than relying on the generic functions for manipulating a figure’s appearance. It requires a bit of customization every time but usually produces good results. I imagine that similar things could be achieved in Python, although I haven’t tried to do this so I can’t say how easy it is.

1 Like

Thanks @gavin I’ll clone your repo and play around with your script hopefully I can reproduce it using Python :slight_smile: it’ll be beneficial especially when dealing with Global Climate Model dataset.

Great! I must admit that I was not focusing much on computational reproducibility or reusability when writing the analysis code for that project (which is unfortunately seems to be the case for most research projects). I hope it works for you, but feel free to let me know if you need a hand using it.

1 Like

great stuff @sandyherho. are you in touch with @Dasapta_Erwin_Irawan and the rest of the indonesian open science team. :slight_smile: surya

1 Like

Halo Bang @surya salam kenal. Yes, I follow him and Pak Juneman on twitter. And I’ve been actively posted my academic writings on Rinarxiv (also the former INA-Rxiv, don’t know if this role is taken into account as an active open science member haha) since 2017. Actually, Pak @dasaptaerwin recommended me to join IGDORE. He was my former co-supervisor candidate during my short-period of grad studies at ITB, unfortunately I decided not to continue my studies due to financial reason back then. I took one of his classes during my junior year as an undergrad.

2 Likes

Hello Sandy, happy to have you here. Thank you for sharing.

Hello everyone. @sandyherho is one of my ex student and now becoming my collaborator on several initiatives. His background is undergraduate in meteorology from Institut Teknologi Bandung and he is very keen in programming. So if anyone has or knows any postgrad or remote programming job opportunities, pls do let him know. :slight_smile:

And this is one of our work.

py-meteo-num: Dockerized Python Notebook environment for portable data analysis workflows in Indonesian atmospheric science communities [preprint in ESSOAR]

Best, Dasapta

3 Likes

Yes, Surya. He is in my loop… and now yours too. :slight_smile:

i am sad to hear lack of finances discontinued your study. am working on a major project on education funding. in fact, i touch on this for my presentation tomorrow… :slight_smile:

https://s.id/piwu2020

1 Like

Thanks Pak, honestly I’m just a novice GNU/Linux user not good enough to be called a programmer :slight_smile:

Haha. Fair enough. Btw I said “very keen in programming”. Just like speaking, I bet each of us is still learning how to speak using our own native language.

Best, Dasapta

2 Likes