NSF application

Happy New Year to you all! I hope that everyone has had a refreshing festive break and all the best for the new year (decade) ahead of us! There is a deadline for application to the National Science Foundation in the US on the 15th January, which does include Linguistics, my field of research. Linguistics is funny in that it hovers between social sciences, humanities, and natural sciences. The beauty of this is that it widens the scope for funding and career opportunities (!). If anyone is interested in this and would like to find out more, do please get in touch as I am also considering submitting an application and there may even be room for collaborative interaction. Hope to hear from you and all the best for everything!

3 Likes

That’s great Keith, good luck with your application (and welcome to the forum)! Are you going to apply through the University of York?

This year I’d like to start setting up a grant administration scheme for IGDORE so members can list it as their (only) academic affiliation when applying for funding. It would be interesting to know if it would be possible for IGDORE to administer grants from the NSF - I’ve seen Ronin Institute says they can administer grants from US funding agencies, but I’m not sure how often this has happened in practice.

2 Likes

Thank you Gavin. I am also a member of the Ronin Institute and shall submit my application to the NSF using my Ronin affiliation, since the Ronin Institute is based in the US and the NSF requires affiliation in the US. I am about to discuss details of my application and grant with the people at Ronin and shall keep you informed on the practicalities of handling federal grants from the US government. If I remember correctly, IGDORE does offer grant handling services in Europe? Would anyone know more about this? Securing funding is one of the hardest and most complicated parts of being an independent scholar, though I have been surprised by how many grants and funding opportunities there are lurking in the deep and dark recesses of the internet, many of which I have never heard of but for which I seem to be eligible. There is hope for us after all. :blush:

1 Like

Indeed, this is one of the reasons Ronin and IGDORE encourage dual affiliations: Ronin covers US while IGDORE covers funding possibilities from EU.

1 Like

Thank you Rebecca. I am also applying to various funding sources in Europe, though with the current Brexit situation things will undoubtedly get complicated (…). Let’s hope that things work out as smoothly as possible for us academics/researchers. I shall put my glasses on and get to grips with the new fine print on eligibility etc. Any insider information and expert advice for funding applications most welcome as always.

Hi all!

Just to clarify, some funding coming from US bodies can be administered by IGDORE (i.e. those that do not require the PIs affiliation to be legally located in the US). It was the case for a grant I applied for last year (which I didn’t win though) to the Mind and Life Institute, a US based fundation.

Brexit doesn’t affect IGDORE though, we can still host grants from EU as usual since we’re registered in Sweden.

1 Like

@rebecca. Is IGDORE currently managing grants from any public or private funders? I know we say IGDORE can host EU grants in theory, but then there is the practical hurdle (in terms of satisfying grant reviewers and committees) of actually getting a grant awarded to an affiliate…

Securing funding is one of the hardest and most complicated parts of being an independent scholar, though I have been surprised by how many grants and funding opportunities there are lurking in the deep and dark recesses of the internet, many of which I have never heard of but for which I seem to be eligible.

@keithtse That’s great you found a lot of awards your eligible for! Last year I was looking for grants I could apply to without affiliation and really didn’t find anything (but this might reflect my field being more experimental). Would it be possible for you to share some links to grants that you think may be of interest to other members? I would like to start a grants database for independent researchers and IGDORE affiliates.

1 Like

Thanks. I have found literally dozen of links, many of which highly obscure as they are cited in page 30+ on google search for ‘funding’ (!). However, there is a nice summary of funding sources for independent scholars on this page:

http://margaretlantry.ie/funding-for-independent-scholars/

I am discovering new funding opportunities every day and shall relay them to you as I encounter them. If anyone is aware of any new funding sources, do please let us know too!

1 Like