Moving the forum to new domain: onscienceandacademia.org

Hi everyone!

We’re happy to inform you that we’ve moved the forum to a new domain: onscienceandacademia.org. Please note that you’ll need to sign in again on this new domain.

In addition are we launching a forum logo:

With these changes we want to clarify that the forum is open to everyone interested in discussing science and academia. IGDORE is responsible for the administration (e.g. moderation) and expenses related to the forum, but it’s not a forum for or about IGDORE. IGDORE as well as other academic/scientific organisations (in particular organisations/groups working for open and/or replicable science) are welcome to have channels/categories in the forum for their internal discussions. To apply for such an internal channel/category send an email to forum@igdore.org.

6 Likes

This looks great! I will share it with the Ronin Institute community!

4 Likes

Excellent! I wonder if when it’s up and running on the new domain name we might eventually move to co-moderation by representatives of all the different orgs? It seems like we might be able to recommend Ronin Scholars, if they want a venue for longer more in-depth discussion threads to have them on the new forum. We’ll keep slack for our internal conversations and social chatting etc.

1 Like

Hopefully you guys might be open to this, as part of building the “Federation” of organizations. :slight_smile: Probably have to think carefully about how that would work. I’ll follow up on our other thread.

Absolutely! For any organisation that has its own open or private category, they will be able to freely choose moderators specific to that category (well, we are still testing this is possible via the Discourse platform, but that is the goal).

Agreed that it would also be good to add some extra forum-wide moderators from different organisations (or even completely non-IGDORE/Ronin/Federation affiliated people). I guess we’d have to think what is the best way to allocate that, one per org represented, in proportion to org. members using the forum, or just most active/respected users? (the latter being common on other forums)

2 Likes

Great input, Alex! Re: Co-moderators. That would certainly give this space more buy-in and potentially more participation from members of different organizations. Perhaps we could discuss this in our next IGDORE-Ronin meeting?

1 Like

@arika.virapongse, @alex.lancaster, and @Gavin, we currently have the Business plan at Discourse and this allows us to have 15 staff users (admins and moderators). In addition to these 15 staff users, each single category can have its own group of moderators (e.g. Ronin’s internal category can have its own moderator group and those moderators do not need to be among the 15 staff users that the Business plan allows us to have). I agree that, with time, the most active and senior people on the forum should be the moderators, not people from any particular organisation. It would also quickly get messy if the expenses, administration, moderator guidelines, etc for the forum should be shared between all organisations having a private category on the forum (the number of organisations could quickly become 20, 50 or 100, the administration and discussions between all these organisations on how to moderate the forum and who should do it would be overwhelming).

3 Likes

That all makes sense, Rebecca! One thing to consider (if possible!) is that not all of our Scholars are in science–some are in Arts & Humanities. At Ronin, we often struggle with the perception that Ronin is all about Science, which discourages our Scholars in Arts & Humanities from participating. The domain name that you’ve chosen does include “academia”, so we can still certainly work with it!

2 Likes

Maybe adding a category called “Arts & Humanities”? We could remove “Philosophy & History”, make “Metascience” an own category, and add “Arts & Humanities”.

1 Like

https://onscienceandacademia.org/ is live!

4 Likes

Nice, @rebecca! :partying_face:

1 Like

Awsome @rebecca!

Just a question: right now, forum.igdore.org is still active. Is there going to be a redirecting link when it is shut off?

forum.igdore.org now redirects to onscienceandacademia.org . The only practical issue should be that you will have to log in again when accessing the forum via the new domain for the first time. (Because the saved browser cookies will be for the old domain.)

4 Likes

Congrats! I like the logo! Looks great :heart:

3 Likes

Just a note - on sign out the page still redirects to igdore.org

Should we change that so it just stays on onscienceandacademia.org ?

Also, I get errors when trying to use either Google or Twitter to sign in - the error occurs before it goes to sign-in pages for those services. Github and ORCiD seem to redirect properly.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Problem with igdore.org forwarding to Gmail