Prostate cancer in females

Hi all,

I thought you may find this letter interesting. The authors describe some papers published in an open acces (in this case, probably predatory) journal that come to some rather unlikely biologically conclusions (non-transgender women suffering from prostate cancer, for example).

What caught my attention is that the authors state that “The fact that it is an open access journal fortifies the risk of potentially fictitious paper mill-derived cancer research because it is so easy to access, and thus cite.”

I think it may be quite damaging to compare all open access journals to predatory journals in this manner, since there are a lot of open access oncology journals published to high standards (which we ourselves wrote a letter on recently).

2 Likes

It is quite a disturbing story altogether!

However, I am not sure the author was making a strong claim about open access in general. Otherwise, he would be self-contradicting since his letter is openly available and he quotes the Center for Open Science as one of the main actors examining the reproducibility of cancer studies.

2 Likes

well, actually

https://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(02)70196-8/fulltext

The G-spot, or Gräfenberg spot, does not refer to “a small but allegedly highly sensitive area on the anterior wall of the human vagina, about a third of the way up from the vaginal opening.” Instead, it refers to the “area” or “zone” on the upper wall of the vagina through which the prostate (also known as Skene’s glands and ducts) can be accessed.

In women, the prostate gland, although generally smaller than the male prostate, also surrounds the urethra, close to the urethral opening. The great sensitivity comes not from what is on the upper wall of the vagina but from glands and ducts behind the vaginal wall.

Hi Paola,

The paraurethral glands you refer to are indeed sometimes referred to as a female homologue of the prostate. However, there is for sure consensus that ‘prostate’ refers to the male organ ;). Their anatomical structure and physiological functions are very different indeed.

As a side note: prostate cancer will affect more than 10% of males during their lifetime, while cancer in the paraurethral glands accounts for only 0.003% of all genital tract cancers in females.

1 Like