Symposium: A critical analysis of the scientific reform movement

I just found out I missed this symposium, now it’s on my to watch list. @briannosek mentions it is a preview for the Metascience 2021 conference which I’m looking forward to later this year.

As the science reform movement has gathered momentum to change research culture and behavior relating to openness, rigor, and reproducibility, so has the critical analysis of the reform efforts. This symposium includes five perspectives examining distinct aspects of the reform movement to illuminate and challenge underlying assumptions about the value and impact of changing practices, to identify potential unintended or counterproductive consequences, and to provide a meta perspective of metascience and open science. It’s meta, all the way up.

Access speaker slides at https://osf.io/qfgy5/.

04:42 - “Psychologists psychologizing scientific psychology: An epistemological reading of the replication crisis” | Ivan Flis, Catholic University of Croatia

26:01 - “The scientific and social implications of implementing Open Science policies and procedures” | Sabina Leonelli, Exeter Centre for the Study of the Life Sciences, University of Exeter

55:38 - “Metascience as a scientific social movement” | David Peterson, UCLA

David’s preprint on this has already been discussed on the forum: Metascience as a scientific social movement

1:17:11 - “The case for formal methodology in scientific reform” | Berna Devezer, University of Idaho

1:37:31 - “Open science in the era of informational mystification” | Kyle Harp-Rushing, University of California, Riverside

1:59:51 - Open Q&A | All panelists

4 Likes