Epistemic Inclusivity

Greets In the context of a forthcoming paper on inclusivity (preprint here) the concept Epistemic Inclusivity came into being briefly described on Zenodo and on Github Anyone interested to contribute to this research please get in touch! an initial meeting is taking place 26/3/21 11 am Paris time to discuss with OHBM members

3 Likes

Interesting initiative @paoladm! I think that Epistemic Inclusivity is a very promising concept and could encompass and go beyond the scope of Open Science. Good luck with this project :slight_smile:

Thank you for your interest Gavin- at last paper is out - my first published with IGDORE affiliation

1 Like

Thanks for sharing @paoladm :slight_smile: I just had a quick look and noticed a few things that @arika.virapongse, I, and the other organizers have considered when planning The Scholarship Values Summit. I’ll have to refer back to this in future.

I thought this editorial also had some interesting perspectives about online conference organisations. In particular, I agree that networking sessions that randomly match participants can provide a lot of value - although it’s a bit intimidating to start with I feel that speed networking sessions have led me to meet a more diverse range of people than I would at a traditional in-person conference.

Organizing a virtual conference changed the way we think about academic exchange

In our experience, delivering a ten-minute presentation and receiving two or three questions from an exhausted audience who have spent the day cooped up in a stuffy conference room does not warrant the hundreds of dollars on flights and the days away from our desks and projects. We still go, though, because of the value of the social part of a conference.

When COVID-19 hit, we optimistically thought, “We will take our conference virtual.” In the process, we’ve found that, instead of thinking of online conferences as replacements-by-necessity for physical conferences that should resemble the ‘real thing’, we should try to accept them as an entirely different model of academic exchange. Maybe the conference year 2020 will help to spur the transition to more — and more fun — virtual meetings in addition to physical ones, beyond the coronavirus pandemic. After all, who would mind talking to colleagues and friends more often?

Another article discussing conference design:

And another perspective: