Increase the transparency of academic conferences through online streaming?

I just had an idea. Wouldn’t it make sense to stream speeches and presentations from academic conferences online? Such “mass streaming” and availability of videos online would help researchers share their findings and would improve transparency toward journalists and the public. Researchers who attend conferences could pay a small fee, like an open access fee, to make their presentations publicly available online and free for all to download and share.

Any thoughts on this?

1 Like

During the peak of the pandemic, most of the conferences in my field were moved online, which, as I have argued before, is one of the silver linings in our global crisis, since it is much more economical to meet online than to convene in-person. In fact, all the virtual conferences that I have been to (and I have been to quite a few since COVID-19) were all free of charge for attendees, since the organisers no longer had to worry about booking venue or preparing refreshments for all participants, even if online event organisation took a toll on them which must have been relatively small compared to in-person conference management. Another related advantage is that we could record our online presentations and make an archive of them, which is very valuable for dissemination and citation purposes. This is what I have done myself as I have made a collection of all my online presentations which I have posted online on public channels like YouTube and Vimeo, and I have received generally positive feedback from people around the world, which I think may have increased the visibility of my work (and my general global fame :grin: ). I am all for what you say, and I really hope that we could develop these online developments in a bid to increase the visibility and openness of research. :+1:

1 Like