International Suicide Prevention Day - BOOK

I am pleased to announce that my book “Suicide and Lifting - Issues in Prevention and Postvention” was published today, through the Ronin Institute and is available for download for free.

It is linked in several platforms including academia.edu and research gate. Here is one of them:

I’m attaching the book cover created by my two sisters, internationally awarded cartoon artist and transgender activist Laerte Coutinho and photographer and designer Lena Coutinho.

Preparing this book is a topic for an article by itself. I had the privilege to know some of the people who built the lived-experience movements discussed in the book. They are some of the bravest knowledge brokers I have met.

4 Likes

Congratulations Marilia!

And many thanks for sharing your work here and for making it openly accessible!

1 Like

Thank you, Enrico! Now that you mention it, it never occurred to me that the book should be sold. In a way it would beat the purpose and it would feel like parasitizing the WHO event, as if hitchhiking the important international day and awareness month to profit. About 2 years ago I published an article on suicide in the context of a series about motivation theories (for the general population). One response we got was particularly troubling (in a good sense). The person wrote, publicly, that he had made up his mind about killing himself that same night and was randomly browsing the internet when he stumbled upon my article. He said that made him “not do it then”. He didn’t say he would never do it or that it saved him. He said he decided to think. I never forgot this.

Cheers!

2 Likes

congrats… a bit of drama towards the end regarding emails, but the effort paid off i think… :slight_smile:

I have no idea what you are talking about. I think you are confusing me with someone else. My book has nothing to do with igdore, emails or you. I just shared a publication, that’s all.

I don’t know what you mean by drama, but do me a favor: leave me out of yours or any.

apologies. i connected the earlier problem you had with igdore email address with this book. somehow i remembered it was also about book publication, and the email problem went unresolved in the end.

or perhaps i misrememberred entirely, as i couldn’t find any search result with the keywords “igdore email address” in the forum. :frowning: