Open Science TV video announcements and discussions

Hi community!

So while we have now a separate place here (thanks to @rebecca Rebecca), I decided to open new discussion where we will announce publications of our new videos. We will be happy to have a feedback or any other comments you want to share with us. Maybe you have an idea or the interesting topic we need to turn our attention on. So, let’s go!

2 Likes

What is Open Science: even a 12-year old child can participate in creation of a scientific article. Interview with Brazilian mathematician and physicist Matheus Pereira Lobo:

2 Likes

:tv:NEW!:tv: Open Science is a tool which creates a new infrastructure, and it needs to be used correctly (part 1/4). Interview with German neurobiologist Björn Brembs:

2 Likes

Must have taken lots of efforts. Keep up the good work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you Surya! Actually, I am very excited for the next part of our interview with Bjoern which will be out in few days! It will be certainly scandalous! As everything which is done in closed and paywalled science :grinning:

1 Like

By the way, guys, we tend to create an international project! Among inviting people from all over the world we want that the content will be available for everybody. So if you want to contribute (or know someone that could) in subtitles translation on your native (or any other language you are fluent in), please help us with it! Credits are guaranteed!

I made a detailed description how to submit translation (very easy, Youtube made it almost automatic). So we always leave English subtitles as a reference, ideally, you will be not lost in abbreviations or sophisticated expressions.

Follow the link: https://app.jogl.io/need/383

2 Likes

send the requested translations to my email. :slight_smile: surya

ps: got it… :slight_smile:

1 Like

:tv:NEW!:tv: TOTAL MUST WATCH! Scientific publishing is a huge money-making machine. Featuring Björn Brembs fighting against these businesses (legal complaint against Elsevier & co):

2 Likes

@sivashchenko, it’s really great to see Open Science TV come together! I hadn’t actually thought of scientific publishing clearly in terms of monopoly (I basically have just thought of the whole system as thoroughly rotten), so I was grateful to listen to Bjorn’s perspective and learn more about the history of scientific publishing. I remember when I started trying to obtain scientific articles, maybe 15 years ago, and feeling stymied at basically every turn. Eventually, I figured out that I could get into the UC Irvine library and stick a thumb drive in their computers in the basement to download articles (I wasn’t a student however IT security was pretty lax back then), and this is basically how I did research. The whole thing seemed crazy to me, and I’m grateful for all the efforts pushing towards open access.

2 Likes

well, at nus singapore, access to information was a real breeze. i really felt i could get any information i need as the uni has its own search system which subscribes to what felt to be all known database in the world, not only academic, but media, business, etc.

i often request the library to buy books and more often than not the request would be granted. the libraries (6 of them then) also subscribes to physical copies of newspapers/periodical/etc. from around the world.

information access was one of my best memories of singapore. am going back there by end of year or next year to fulfill my scholarship bond, which i have neglected for more than a decade. would need to base myself there for the next 6 years, so looking forward to experiencing the libraries again. other life aspects, not so much. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:tv: NEW! :tv: Third part of our interview with Björn Brembs is out now! 9 circles of hell of a scientific paper publishing, or the world is full of non-elephants. We were talking about the difference between a scientific article and a news paper article, about ArXiv and why maths and physics community do not read journals but publishes in them. As a bonus: a story from Zen Faulkes, scientist from University of Texas, it took him 3 years to publish his scientific paper:

4 Likes

good stuff… :slight_smile:

1 Like

:tv: NEW! :tv: The fourth last part of our talk with Björn Brembs is available to watch. We discussed the scientific prestige and high impact journals and why it is so important for scientists to be published there:

3 Likes

I enjoyed the whole series with @brembs, nice work @sivashchenko!

This senitment:

I don’t care about these journals but everybody else does.

Reminded me of this podcast:

In brief, people constantly misrepresent their true views, even to close friends and family. They themselves aren’t quite sure how socially acceptable their feelings would have to become before they revealed them or joined a campaign for change. And a chance meeting between a few strangers can be the spark that radicalises a handful of people who then find a message that can spread their beliefs to millions.

According to Sunstein, it’s “much, much easier” to create social change when large numbers of people secretly or latently agree with you. But ‘preference falsification’ is so pervasive that it’s no simple matter to figure out when they do.

This seems to be a very similar phenomenon. Maybe there are some ideas that can be taken from the study of political change to open science?

@cooper, I feel like this ties into your collective action commitments with FOK.

1 Like

Hopefully! That’s the idea behind letting pledges be anonymous, so that people can express their latent intentions/preferences without fear of retribution.

4 Likes

:tv:NEW!:tv: The first part of our interview with Stephanie Dawson (CEO of ScienceOpen) is out! We discussed how the impact of scientific research is measured nowadays and why luxury citation databases tools such as Web of Science and Scopus are not about open and democratic scientific infrastructure:

Special thanks to @Gavin for supporting our project on Open Collective!

1 Like

@sivashchenko: found the footage you requested… wait for it… please don’t finish editing yet… uploading 3.5 gb worth of data… :slight_smile:

1 Like

:tv:NEW!:tv: The second part of our interview with Stephanie Dawson, ScienceOpen CEO, is available to watch! It is about competition in academia, alternative science metrics and why Open Citation achievements are important for the future of open digital scientific infrastructure: We thank @Gavin for supporting our project on Open Collective !

1 Like

:tv:NEW!:tv: For those who missed Jon Tennant’s memorial day, the recording is available on our channel. 4,5 hours of content and 22 people contributed with their testimonials (as well as members of IGDORE global board @pcmasuzzo & @dbernt). And of course, we thank again @Gavin for his monthly donation!

2 Likes