Paper about symptom checkers in animals

Dear all,

I just wanted to share my first Igdore paper, which is about symptom checkers in animals!

Let me know what you think :slight_smile:

Best, Jelle

4 Likes

Hi @Jelle, congratulations on your paper and welcome to the forum!

I had a quick look at your paper - interesting and clearly written, but outside of my field. One question I have is if you already have doubts about the accuracy animal symptom checkers? Although I agree that research is required to confirm the accuracy either way. Also, the symptom checkers you mention all seem to be for household pets. Do you know if there are any symptom checkers for farm animals? It seems like there could be more economic motivation to do this than for pets, although I may be missing something (maybe farmers are trained to do it with the cheker).

Hi Gavin,

I personally think that these symptom checkers list the correct diagnosis somewhere in the list. This could vary by type of condition and incidence though!

This paper indeed focuses on companion animals, but only because of my own research interests. I do not know whether similar tools exist for production animals.

Thank you for reading!

Hi Jelle,

I think this is a decent article. It prompts further research.

Iโ€™ve just checked Google on some animal symptom checkers in our country. I found none. Veterinary medicine is not a sophisticated field here. Thatโ€™s sad I guess.

Is veterinary medicine up to date in your country?

I have the feeling it is quite good in Belgium! However, Iโ€™m not a veterinarian.