Pomodoro days - wanna join?

Do you too find it difficult to get certain stuff done? Answering or writing emails, filling out forms, create backups, install updates, paying bills, preparing presentations… Well someone has developed a technique, called Pomodoro, that is supposed to help you get things done. From Wikipedia:

There are six steps in the original technique:

1. Decide on the task to be done.
  2. Set the pomodoro timer (traditionally to 25 minutes).
  3. Work on the task.
  4. End work when the timer rings and put a checkmark on a piece of paper.
  5. If you have fewer than four checkmarks, take a short break (3–5 minutes), then go to step 2.
  6. After four pomodoros, take a longer break (15–30 minutes), reset your checkmark count to zero, then go to step 1.

How about setting a recurring time each week when we do this together online? It could be 1-3 times per week to cater to different timezones, and people could just drop in (online) to attend if they want to. Anyone’s up for trying?

1 Like

Hello,

I find academic writing very hard and increasingly so as time passes. Even writing short science-related posts for my professional social media accounts takes me much longer than it should and I´m almost giving up on even attempting more complex pieces like scientific articles. I´m interested in any tips that this group can share on scientific writing. I have tried the pomodoro method, or simply sitting down daily an x amount of time daily to attempt writing, but I can´t seem to produce anything. I am especially interested in possibly “writing challenges” where small steps or different topics are attempted each day, much like creative or fictional writers do. Does anyone know of such academic challenges for science or academic writing??

Thank you !

María Beatriz Guayaquil-Ecuador

1 Like